Friday, March 8, 2013

Bequia

I had a beautiful sail to Bequia (beckway), averaging more than six knots on very smooth seas. The kind of sailing everybody thinks that sailing is going to be like...

Bequia is an interesting island. Its more touristy than Union, with smaller cruise ships calling here on a regular basis. It also has a significant part of its population with Scottish ancestry. I don't know the exact history, but it is quite different to hear lighter skinned people speaking with an island dialect (and I don't mean the affected "white Rasta" type of accent you might encounter on St John). Bequia has been a seafaring place throughout its history, and its known for the repair services available to boats. That's why I'm here, and I'm able to get several repairs done at the Canvas Shop. Another part of the seafaring tradition here is whaling. They are quite proud of it, and have a whaling museum. The IWC grants them a permit for up to four whales a year, but apparently its unusual for more than one to be taken. This is the season, but I don't hear of any kills while I'm here.

I have finished my repairs, reprovisioned, and cleared out of SVG. Tomorrow morning I plan to leave Admiralty Bay before dawn and sail for St Lucia...

 

A "sailing" cruise ship passes in front of me as I'm bound for Bequia

Admiralty Bay

From the Fort

The Whalebone Bar (yes, they really are)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment