Wednesday, February 22, 2012

You Can Take the Ranger Out of the Woods, but...

We are in Little Lamesher Bay with only two other boats, and I am sitting here on deck enjoying the sound of the tree frogs, with no music or generators to compete with them. Mega-yachts are not allowed here on the south side, which is another plus. So, that reminds me a story about our last night at Maho Bay. Just after dark, we saw a catamaran full of college age kids pulling in with no running lights. Here comes trouble, we thought. Sure enough, as soon as they caught the mooring, they were cranking up some weird techno music at a volume level which could be heard for miles. So, I beamed them with my two million candle power spotlight, and they quickly lowered the volume. But, of course, that didn't last. Half an hour later I had to do it again, and this time it was ineffective, until I pulled out my compressed air horn and used it in conjunction with the light. That did the trick. We heard loud voices and drunken hollering until past 3AM, and I assumed it was from the kids, but when I happened to go on deck, I realized that it was coming from a 140 foot maga-yacht anchored further out in the bay. In the morning, when I told Judy where all the shouting had come from, she pointed out that I shouldn't play enforcer with just the "poor" folks. She was right, so I looked up the Lady Bee online with my Kindle 3G. It turns out that it is a charter boat out of St Marteen which rents for $110,000 a week!

www.yachtsbhc.com/showyachts/2999/1
(Check out the interior pics.)

So, I radioed them:
"Lady Bee, Lady Bee, ths is the saling vessel Alannastar."
"Lady Bee"
"Can you please go to 6-9, sir?"
"6-9"
"Lady Bee, Alannastar, on 6-9."
"Lady Bee"
" For future reference sir, the quiet hours in this national park are from 10PM to 6AM. Also.pleae pass on this message to your clients: The fact that they can afford to pay $110,000 a week for a boat does not give them the right to act like rude idiots and keep the entire harbor up until three in the morning."
"Sorry about that."
Of course, I doubt that the crew actually passed along the message - that would probably tend to diminish the size of their tips ;-)

2 comments:

  1. You go John. Loud noise and carrying on in such a gorgeous refuge is way out of line even if folks are filthy rich. Your rainbow pics and the most recent hikes are breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamesher Bay.....Mt. Marcy leen-to. How far do people have to go to find serenity????? Lt. Chris

      Delete